Vi Agroforestry is a Swedish development cooperation organization, fighting poverty and working with sustainable agriculture and land management through agroforestry – growing trees alongside crops and livestock. We do this together with small-holder farming families and farmers’ organizations in four countries (Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda) in and near the Lake Victoria Basin in East Africa. Agroforestry provides increased access to food, access to sustainable energy sources, and more income. Agroforestry also contributes to the mitigation of climate change and protects against the negative effects of climate change. Since its inception in 1983, Vi Agroforestry has reached over 2,3 million people through education, advisory, and services.
The joint Marketing Department of Vi-Skogen and We Effect consists of 13 people: Communicators, Project Managers, Fundraising Experts, Donor Support, Corporate Contact People, and Analysts. The Marketing Department is going through a reorganization that will be finalized during the fall of 2020, under the leadership of our new Marketing Director.
The Project Manager contributes to the overall goals of the Marketing Department:
- fundraising among private donors and corporations in a cost-efficient way
- strengthen and increase awareness of the two brands by communicating what we do and why our work is important, related to the Sustainable Development Goals
- all our work is in line with the new interim strategy that was approved in June, making necessary adjustments in our work related to the corona crisis
Resopnsibilites of the role includes:
- Stakeout project strategies and manage projects of all kinds within the Marketing Department: large and small communication activities, internal and external projects
- Secure integrated impact in various channels
- Lead project teams of 0-20+ people (internal and external)
- Contact with suppliers, agencies, etc
- Negotiate agreements with freelancers and suppliers of all kinds
- Budget responsibility
- Close collaboration with Secretary General, Marketing Director, Media and Advocacy Department, and policy experts
The role also includes various communication tasks, such as:
- Writing and producing content, eg. for corporate communication, annual report, articles, social media, internal use, etc
- Write briefs for content production, in Sweden and on field trips, and sometimes interview and film farmers
- Social media management (posting posts and editing comments) – when social media manager is unavailable
- Coordinate corporate communication
- Possibly join field trips – prepare and plan the itinerary and host the trip if any external travelers join (eg. corporate clients, goodwill ambassadors)
- Event management
- Represent Vi-Skogen at seminars and events
As the size and sort of the projects vary broadly, the role requires a project manager with the ability to have the strategic overview of the projects and their team members, but who is also able to work operatively with the details. As there are other tasks apart from project management, the role requires a communication generalist with the ability to lead and inspire project team members. You need to be very structured, with the ability to keep track of many parallel tasks and projects, while still delivering on time. As a person you need strong communication skills and to be an agile, solution-oriented and positive ”doer”.
- University degree or equivalent within a relevant field, e.g. Media and Communications, Project Management or similar
- 5+ years of relevant working experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills in Swedish and English
- Video production and AD skills, photography (stills and video)
- Knowledge of NGO and/or development countries
- Sustainability communication
- Experience of sustainable agriculture and land management
- Understanding of the rights-based approach and civil society development
- Oral and written communication skills in other languages
This is a temporary employment during a maternety leave. Start date will be September 1st, 2020, so that you have time to work alongside the person you are substituting for.
Vi Agroforestry strives for diversity in the organization and welcomes applicants regardless of gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, ethnicity, religious belief, or disability.